Anyone, anywhere can be the one to make a difference in the life of someone with a mental health or substance use challenge – if they know what to do and what to say.
The Southeast Alaska AHEC provides Mental Health First Aid training throughout the region.
Alaska AHECs can teach this program to 16 - 18 year olds with signed parental/guardian permission.
Upcoming Trainings: Juneau School District Mental Health First Aid Training for students 16-18. April 13, 2019.
Mental Health First Aid teaches skills that enable participants to:
- Promote mental health literacy
- Combat stigma of mental illness
- Enable early intervention through recognition of signs and symptoms
- Connect people to care
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen non-judgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies
Studies also show that the program reduces the social distance created by negative attitudes and perceptions of individuals with mental illnesses.